Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe is a favorite in our church where Mrs. Lindley was a member years ago. This is the recipe our UMW group uses when we make dinner for the local Ruritan Club as a fundraiser. The original recipe is without vegetables, but my husband and I prefer it with some vegetables added. You can cook the chicken in any way you prefer, but I use the method in Shir-Will Chicken Delight (Microwave) , Shir-Will Chicken Delight. (Thanks Uncle Bill!). Preparation time does not include cooking of chicken.
- 1 whole chicken, cooked and deboned with skin removed
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen mixed vegetables (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup self rising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- Mix chicken meat with cream of chicken soup and chicken broth and vegetables, if using. Pour into prepared 13"x9" dish.
- In a bowl, mix butter, flour, baking powder, and milk until smooth (I use a whisk). Pour over chicken mixture evenly.
- Bake at 350 for 45 minutes to 1 hour until crust is golden brown. Let set for a few minutes before serving.
Yummy! We enjoyed this version of chicken pie. I loved the idea of just pouring a batter over the top! I couldn't get it to spread evenly and worried that it wouldn't create an even crust, but it spread out while cooking and covered the entire pie. The only thing I would change is to add a lot less chicken broth. Our mixture was really soupy instead of thick and creamy. I think I would try to reduce the amount of chicken broth by half. All in all, it's a great family meal! Thanks. :)
3.5. No changes were made to this recipe. Easy meal! It lacked flavor which I expected. I boiled chicken with some garlic powder and onion powder. I think next time I will either buy a rotisserie chicken or saute some onions and garlic and add to the dish. I was looking for a quick meal and I found this. I will make this again. I just think it needs a little more zing. PAC Fall 2009.