1/1 Photo of Marshmallows (French Laundry)
I was surfing the internet and found this recipe for marshmallows. I have since tried a few others and I wished I hadn't wasted my time and ingredients. For one thing, this recipe is extremely easy to follow. (You don't even need a candy thermometer.)Secondly, this recipe is foolproof and super easy to make. The only suggestion I have is to use a quality Vanilla extract as the aroma and flavor is unbelieveable! If you've never had homemade marshmallows before, you are in for a real treat! The texture is so much softer and the flavor is well, ummmm.... Marshmallow melting moment. Yummy. I have a lot of fun making these with my two year old daughter. I love watching her lick the beaters. Have some fun in your kitchen for a change. These are wonderful with your favorite Hot Cocoa. The list goes on.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large mixing bowl (or in the bowl of an electric mixer), sprinkle gelatin over 1/2 cup cold water. Soak 10 minutes.
- 2Meanwhile: Combine sugar, corn syrup, 1/4 cup water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Boil hard for 1 minute.
- 3Pour the boiling syrup into gelatin and mix at high speed. Add the salt and beat for about 10 - 12 minutes.
- 4Add the vanilla and incorporate into mixture.
- 5NOTE: Lightly oil your hands and a spatula.
- 6Scrape into a 9 X 9 inch pan lined with oiled plastic wrap and spread evenly. ***Don't skip the plastic wrap step or the marshmallow mixture will stick and you'll have a very delicious mess!
- 7After pouring marshmallow mixture into pan, take another piece of plastic wrap lightly oiled on the side which you will be placing on top of the marshmallow mixture and lightly press marshmallow mixture till flat and even into the pan.
- 8Let marshmallows sit up for about 2 hours (I have had luck with 1 1/2 hours). Remove from pan, dredge whole slab with confectioners’ sugar and cut into squares. Each time you cut or slice you will need to keep using the confectioners’ sugar and dredging each piece so they will not stick to each other and your knife (or scissors).
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Marshmallows (French Laundry)
Serving Size: 1 (103 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 379.0
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 128.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 95.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 76.7 g
- Protein 3.0 g