Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Use this recipe to make Marshmallow Treats aka PEEPS from Martha Stewart Living.
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin (2 1/2 teaspoons)
- 1⁄3 cup cold water, for gelatin,plus
- 1⁄4 cup water for syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, sprinkle gelatin over 1/3 cup cold water.
- Allow gelatin to soften, about 5 minutes.
- In a small saucepan, combine 1/4 cup water and sugar, and stir over medium-high heat until sugar is dissolved.
- Stop stirring, and place a candy thermometer into sugar water; wipe sides of pan with a wet brush if sugar crystals have splattered up.
- Boil sugar until temperature reaches the soft-ball stage (238º).
- Remove syrup from heat; add to softened gelatin.
- Using the whisk attachment of an electric mixer, hand-stir the mixture a few minutes to cool; place bowl on the mixer stand.
- Beat on medium high with the whisk attachment until soft peaks form and the marshmallow mixture holds shape, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer marshmallow mixture to a large (14-inch) pastry bag fitted with a 1/2 inch (#11Ateco) tip, and use immediately.
This was so easy and fun, I will surely do it over and over again. I made rice Krispee squares with it!