Recipe by Olha
You actually make the pink marshmallow topping. It is very easy. The flavor and texture of this is delicious. They are among the first to disappear on a plate of dainties.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package unflavored gelatin
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup icing sugar (sometimes called powdered sugar or confectioners' sugar)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red food coloring
Directions See How It's Made
- FIRST LAYER: Combine first 3 ingredients together. Mix to crumble. Press into ungreased 9 x 9 inch pan. Bake in 325 degrees F. oven for 20 minutes until set and golden. COOL.
- SECOND LAYER: Put water in saucepan. Sprinkle gelatin over and let stand for 5 minutes. Add granulated sugar and salt. Heat over medium heat stirring to dissolve gelatin and sugar. Remove from heat. Stir in icing sugar. COOL.
- When cool, beat until foamy. Add baking powder, vanilla and almond. Add food coloring to tint a pretty pink. Beat at high speed until thick enough to stand in peaks.
- Pour soft pink mixture over shortbread base. COOL until gloss disappears.
- Additions to be tried if you care to---1/2 cup of chopped cherries or 1/2 cup toasted chopped almonds.
- Cut into 36 pretty squares.
- Company's Coming.