Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
You actually make the pink marshmallow topping. It is very easy. The flavor and texture of this is delicious. They are among the first to disappear on a plate of dainties.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package unflavored gelatin
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup icing sugar (sometimes called powdered sugar or confectioners' sugar)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon almond flavoring
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red food coloring
- FIRST LAYER: Combine first 3 ingredients together. Mix to crumble. Press into ungreased 9 x 9 inch pan. Bake in 325 degrees F. oven for 20 minutes until set and golden. COOL.
- SECOND LAYER: Put water in saucepan. Sprinkle gelatin over and let stand for 5 minutes. Add granulated sugar and salt. Heat over medium heat stirring to dissolve gelatin and sugar. Remove from heat. Stir in icing sugar. COOL.
- When cool, beat until foamy. Add baking powder, vanilla and almond. Add food coloring to tint a pretty pink. Beat at high speed until thick enough to stand in peaks.
- Pour soft pink mixture over shortbread base. COOL until gloss disappears.
- Additions to be tried if you care to---1/2 cup of chopped cherries or 1/2 cup toasted chopped almonds.
- Cut into 36 pretty squares.
- Company's Coming.
I love that this can be made vegan really easily by using Vegegel and margerine! Thanks for a great recipe :)
These are very good squares. I had lost the recipe. They are simpler to make then it looks. Thank you!