Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Poured over chocolate ice cream -- one of my favorite childhood treats!
- 8 ounces marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Melt the marshmallows and water in the top of a double boiler, over hot but not boiling water. Leave in the top and set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, combine the sugar, milk, and corn syrup. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 5 minutes. Pour this liquid over the marshmallows.
- Return the marshmallow mixture to low heat and with a hand held mixer, whisk, or egg beater, beat until smooth. Sauce will thicken as it cooks.
- Remove from the heat and add the vanilla extract. Serve at room temperature.