Shannon Cooks's Note:
You will need a cookie cutter in the shape of a peep for this one, or use a bunny/egg shaped cutter. You can use this recipe year round to make heart shaped peeps for Valentines' Day, tree shaped ones for Xmas, and pumpkin shaped ones for Halloween. The possibilities are endless. I have made this and it tastes great! Try dipping them in chocolate too!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- vegetable oil, for the pan
- powdered sugar, for dusting pan
- 2/3 cup cold water, divided
- 2 (2 tablespoon) envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- yellow food coloring
- colored crystal sugar, for decorating
- chocolate sprinkles, for decorating
- 1Line the bottom and sides of a 13- by 9-inch baking pan with plastic wrap.
- 2Oil and then liberally dust bottom and sides with some powdered sugar.
- 3Place 1/3 cup cold water in a mixer bowl and sprinkle the gelatin over the water's surface.
- 4In a heavy saucepan with a tight fitting lid, add sugar, corn syrup, salt, and remaining 1/3 cup water and stir to dissolve sugar.
- 5Cover the pan, place over moderately low heat.
- 6Remove cover after 4 - 5 minutes. The steam will have caused any sugar crystals to dissolve and the syrup will be bubbling lightly.
- 7Increase the heat to high and boil the syrup, without stirring, until it reaches 240 degrees F on a candy thermometer.
- 8Remove from the heat immediately.
- 9Slowly and carefully, pour the syrup into the gelatin while the mixer is beating constantly at medium speed.
- 10When all of the syrup has been added, increase speed to high and whip for approx 10 minutes until the mixture is lukewarm and very white, and the consistency of marshmallow cream.
- 11Add the vanilla extract and a drop or two of food coloring if desired. Mix well.
- 12Pour the marshmallow mixture into pan; smooth the top surface and sprinkle liberally with colored sugar.
- 13Let the pan stand, uncovered, at room temperature to dry out. Depending on humidity, this may happen in several hours or take up to 8 hours. The longer you let it set, the easier the marshmallow sheet will be to cut.
- 14When ready for cutting, invert the pan of marshmallow onto a clean cutting surface; remove the plastic wrap and coat the top with colored sugar.
- 15Use cookie cutters to stamp out your peeps (or other shapes) and toss them in a bowl of colored sugar to coat evenly. If the cookie cutter gets sticky, wash it and lightly coat with vegetable oil.
- 16Use chocolate sprinkles or melted chocolate to form an eye on peeps.
- 17Store the marshmallow peeps in an airtight container.
- 18Makes about 80 marshmallows.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Marshmallow Peeps!
Serving Size: 1 (7 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 80
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 20.2
- Calories from Fat 0
- Total Fat 0.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 16.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 4.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 0.3 g