Recipe by NotQuiteVegetarian
A true blue Aussie dessert, through and through! From Australian Women's Weekly Dinner Party Cookbook.
Top Review by ilovenigella
I do this one as a cake and I find it works better when the eggs are at room temperature. Over the years I've tried dozens of Pav recipies, and this one really is the best - My mother has been using this recipie for meringues since I was a little girl!! 5 stars!!!
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 2 (300 ml) cartons thickened cream
- 125 ml strawberries (1 punnet)
- 2 bananas
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 kiwi fruits
- 1 passion fruit
- 2 tablespoons strawberry jam
Directions See How It's Made
- Beat egg whites until soft peaks form, gradually add sugar, beating well after each adition until all sugar is dissolved.
- Add vanilla and vinegar, beat further 1 minute.
- Spread meringue in greased, lined 28cm x 18 cm lamington tin which has been lightly dusted with cornflour.
- Bring paper over sides of tin so it is easy to remove slice when cooked.
- Bake in slow oven 45 minutes or until meringue is crisp and has a hard shell.
- Lift out carefully onto wire rack to cool.
- Trim edges with sharp knife.
- Beat one carton of cream until soft peaks form, spread cream over top of meringue.
- Peel bananas, cut into diagonal slices, put into lemon juice to keep their colour.
- Hull strawberries, cut in half.
- Peel kiwi fruit, cut in slices.
- Remove pulp from passionfruit.
- Heat strawberry jam in small saucepan, push through sieve to remove seeds, brush jam over strawberry halves to glaze.
- Arrange banana slices, strawberries and kiwi fruit decoratively on top of pavlova.
- Spoon passionfruit pulp over bananas.
- Whip remaining cream, pipe decoratively around edge of pavlova.