Prep 5 mins
Cook 5 mins
Simply the best I have ever tried. Thanks Grammy Mae!!
- 5 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 10 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 tablespoon marshmallow cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- Beat all ingredients with an electric mixer until soft peaks form Pour over filled pie and bake at 400 degrees F until browned.
- Watch closely.
Don't get discouraged if it doesn't form the peaks quickly. It takes a little time and you get SOFT peaks. When it leaves a definate swirly pattern behind that doesn't loose shape and makes sof peaks when you test it, it's ready. It is a very creamy meringue. I left out the vanilla as my family isn't wanting it on lemon meringue pie...very velvety and tasty! Watch it in the oven. I browned it at 350F in a convection oven and it only took about 10 minutes to brown very well.