Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
Published in The Blade (Toledo, Ohio) on 12/30/08, credit is given to Amy Stein (a local woman). I have not made it, but it doesn't look like there is a Recipezaar entry for this, so I am adding it to our collection. (The sugar is supposed to read "2/3 c + 2 Tbls sugar".). Use for your Rice Krispie treats and more!
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar together until light and frothy.
- With mixer running slowly, add 2 Tbls sugar, beating until soft peaks form.
- In a small saucepan, combine 1/3 cup water, corn syrup and remaining 2/3 c of sugar.
- Cook over medium heat until boiling.
- Cook, stirring, until mixture reaches the firm ball stage (between 242 F and 248 F), about 6 minutes.
- Immediately remove from heat.
- With mixer on low, slowly add hot syrup to egg white mixture.
- Increase mixture speed to high and continue beating for 5 minutes.
- Add vanilla and continue to beat until mixture looks like marshmallow cream, about 1 minute more.
- Store in glass jar with air-tight lid on countertop.
This is a nice simple to make recipe and tastes exactly the way I remember it.