Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Excellent use for leftover roast turkey and chicken.
- 4 cups of cubed cooked chicken
- 2 (16 ounce) cans chicken broth
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups uncooked carrots
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons onion powder or 2 teaspoons chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 tablespoon oregano
- 1 tablespoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 (16 ounce) can peas
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 16 dumplings
- In dutch oven combine the first ten ingredients.
- Heat to a boil then reduce to simmer.
- Simmer until carrots are tender, about one hour.
- Add peas.
- In small sauce pan make rue with butter and flour.
- Add rue to chicken mix.
- Add and cook dumplings according to directions.
- I recommend recipe#30965 for the dumplings.
This recipe made for a tasty chicken and dumplings with very clear instructions. I used all the lised ingredients except I didn't add the peas (didn't have them) and instead of making a rue to add for thickening, I made a simple milk and flour mixture and added that to the hot stew for the same purpose. Also, I felt it was a bit too watery tasting so I added chicken boullion granules to pump up the flavor and it turned out very good. I used more celery than called for and added about 1/2 cup of finely chopped onion. I prepared and added Bisquick dumplings to the stew as well. The selected spices and amounts was perfect, I used what was specified in the ingredients. Thank you ms. muffet for a providing a nice recipe that my family enjoyed for dinner this evening.