Recipe by Mewnshine
A favorite in our family for years - no nuts, raisins, or pineapple to get in the way of the tasty carrots!
- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups freshly grated carrots
- 1 1⁄2 cups vegetable oil
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup softened butter
- 2 1⁄4 cups powdered sugar (possibly more)
- 1 lemon, zest of
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix flour, cinnamon, soda, and salt and set aside.
- In a large bowl or mixer beat eggs with sugar until fluffy and lemon colored.
- Mix in oil and freshly grated carrots (best to buy whole carrots and grate them in food processor - the store-bought pre-shredded carrots don't integrate well into the rest of the cake like freshly-grated ones do).
- Add flour mixture and stir to mix well.
- Pour into well greased and floured bundt pan.
- Bake in pre-heated 350 degree oven for 1 hr 15 minutes, or until prick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan on rack.
- Make frosting by beating the cream cheese with the softened butter, then add lemon zest. From there gradually add the powdered sugar, adding more/less based on the feel. Note that as you make the frosting, it'll seem like it will never soften but it does!
- Spread icing on the cooled cake. Be sure to store in the refrigerator if you're not going to eat right away, but do set it at room temperature about 30-60 minutes before serving.