Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Marshall Field's is no longer in existence, but if you very lucky enough to have one of these sandwiches, you will love making these at home. It clearly make a HUGE sandwich so share with a friend. I typed the recipe as submitted by: Deborah Loeser Small, Lake Magazine "The Walnut Room. Marshall Field's Special Sandwich. Some things cannot be improved upon. In the 1970s I learned to make "Field's Specials" at a part-time job in the kitchen of Field's Old Orchard store, Skokie, Ill. These "sandwiches" are in fact mountainous, delightful salads. Two or three outside corporate owners later, the Special doesn't appear on any Field's menu (although the Walnut Room will make them on request)--but here is the step-by-step way to make it at home. I've also included my personal recipe for Thousand Island dressing. FYI: This is fantastic use of left over Thanksgiving turkey."
- 1 fresh crispy head iceberg lettuce
- 3 -5 slices of freshly roasted turkey breast (white meat only)
- 3⁄4 cup thousand island dressing (recipe to follow)
- 1 slice aged swiss cheese, thinly sliced
- 1 slice rye bread, Jewish
- 1 teaspoon butter, softened
- 2 slices bacon, cooked
- 1 slice hard-boiled egg
- 1 slice tomatoes
Thousand Island Dressing
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup Heinz Chili Sauce
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 2 large green olives, pitted and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 hard-boiled egg, finely chopped (optional)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- Butter rye bread and place on a large cold serving plate. Cover bread with Swiss cheese slice, followed by one or two slices of turkey. Take a nice large outer lettuce leaf from the head of iceberg and set aside. Slice the iceberg lettuce in a few large sections and arrange a section on top of the turkey and Swiss cheese.
- Cover the open-face "sandwich" with big lettuce leaf. Top with several slices of turkey. Pour a very ample amount of dressing over the lettuce, allowing it to puddle slightly all around the plate. Place a slice of bacon and an olive on either side of sandwich mound. Place tomato slice and egg slice atop mound with parsley sprig. Garnish with a large stuffed green olive. Serve immediately.
- Combine all Thousand Island Dressing ingredients. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes. Serve.
- Yield: One and three-fourths cups dressing.