Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 35 mins
Another favorite of mine from Dayton's/Marshall Field's/Macy's. The pine nuts, spinach and red pepper sauce give it a different flair. Good with skin-on mashed potatoes
- 4 ounces garlic-flavored croutons
- 1 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 large eggs
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons prepared pesto sauce
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 lbs ground round
- 1 1⁄2 cups julienned fresh spinach leaves
- 1 garlic clove, peeled, halved
- 6 tablespoons butter (divided)
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups beef broth
- salt and pepper
- 1 dash Worcestershire sauce
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, diced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Finely crush croutons and combine with broth in small bowl. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Heat oil in skillet. Add onions and cook over medium heat 8 to 10 minutes or until soft. Set aside.
- In large bowl, beat eggs. Mix in pesto, pine nuts, Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt and pepper.
- Add meat, spinach, cooked onion and crouton mixture. Mix well.
- Place mixture in bread pan and bake 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes before slicing.
- Remove from pan and slice.
- Serve topped with sauce.
- Rub saucepan with garlic. Discard clove.
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter over low heat.
- Add flour and stir until blended. Stir in beef broth.
- Stirring constantly, cook sauce until it comes to boil. Add salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce.
- Remove from heat, stir.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter in medium skillet.
- Add bell pepper and cook over medium heat 5 minutes or until it begins to soften.
- Add to reserved brown sauce.
- Adjust seasonings as needed and heat through.
Oh man. You just took meatloaf to a whole another level. It looks and tastes very sophisticated but it's it's not difficult to make. Even though I used ground turkey and chicken broth it was heavenly. I would highly recommend it for entertaining on a budget. Thank you.
Thought this was TERRIFIC true! Baked for 1 hour only too! Let sit, was a big hit for me! Meatloaf...helathy, interesting as can be! Used red onions and didnt add extra sale in meatloaf...personal taste for me, Got lazy, used roasted peppers washed and diced....great sauce to see THANKS!