Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From Chicago Tribune Good Eating section. This summery salad is packed with basil. And yes, it is 1/4 cup dried basil! Wow now that is a lot!
- 1 lb rotini pasta
- 2 lemons, zest of, grated
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 tomatoes, cored and chopped
- 1 bunch fresh basil leaf, chopped
- 1 cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1⁄4 cup dried basil (optional)
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, combine the lemon zest, olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper in a bowl. Set aside.
- Drain pasta and transfer to a large bowl. Pour lemon oil mixture over warm pasta. Toss cover and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Stir in the tomatoes, fresh basil, cheese and dried basil. Cover and refrigerate for an additional hour.
LOVE this recipe! I do not use any dried basil. That amount sounds overpowering. It is a deliciously light and refreshing summer salad. Great with chicken or seafood.
I worked at Marshall Field's for 3 years and ate this salad at least 3 times a week. This recipe is dead on! The only difference is minor. Instead of shredded parmesan the original is shaved.... but it doesn't affect the taste at all!