12 hrs 30 mins
Inspired by a menu item at Rigoletto Italian Bakery & Cafe, these sandwiches are piles of paper-thin marinated steak, Provolone, caramelized onions and wilted spinach all on a porous roll to sop up the juices.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup marsala wine
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leave
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 2 tablespoons minced onions
- 1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 lbs flank steaks or 1 1/4 lbs chuck steaks, shaved
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 sweet onions, thinly sliced
- 5 ounces Baby Spinach or 5 ounces arugula
- salt and pepper
- 4 ounces sliced provolone cheese
- 2 garlic cloves, halved
- 4 ciabatta buns or 4 focaccia buns, halved and toasted
- 1Mix wine through coarse pepper in a large, non-reactive shallow pan.
- 2Add shaved steak and stir to coat. Place in the refrigerator for 8-12 hours. Remove from the marinade and pat dry.
- 3Strain marinade into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cook five minutes, set aside.
- 4In a large, deep skillet over medium-low heat, melt the butter.
- 5Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are a rich golden colour – about 15 minutes. Remove from the pan, reserving the liquid, and set aside.
- 6Return the pan to the stove, raise the heat to medium-high and add the steak.
- 7Cook, stirring, until halfway done, then add the onions, baby spinach and ¼ cup of the boiled marinade.
- 8Stir well, cover and cook until spinach is wilted.
- 9Add 2 tbsp more marinade, then top with a layer of the sliced Provolone. Cook until cheese is thoroughly melted. Remove from heat.
- 10Rub each cut side of each toasted bun half with the cut garlic cloves.
- 11Spoon ¼ of the pan mixture onto one half of each bun and press down well.
- 12If desired, serve boiled marinade alongside for dipping.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Marsala Steak Sandwich
Serving Size: 1 (643 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 915.6
- Calories from Fat 368
- Total Fat 40.9 g
- Saturated Fat 15.7 g
- Cholesterol 131.2 mg
- Sodium 630.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 43.9 g