Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
This farmhouse dessert is studded with bits of chocolate and fragrant with lemon zest. The Marsala and rum give it a devilishly sophisticated character. A very different bread pudding
- 10 ounces country bread, crusts removed, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1⁄4 cup rum
- 1⁄4 cup sweet marsala wine
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, zest of, grated
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed, plus extra
- unsalted butter, for greasing the pan
- 4 ounces bittersweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Spread the bread on a baking sheet; sprinkle with the rum and Marsala. Let rest 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, beat the eggs with the milk, cream, 1/2 cup of the sugar, and the lemon zest in a large bowl. Add three-quarters of the butter and all the chocolate chips.
- Fold the bread cubes into the egg mixture, and spoon into a buttered 13" x 9" mold. Dot the top with the remaining butter and sprinkle with the remaining sugar.
- Place the mold in a roasting pan filled halfway with warm water and bake for 40 minutes. Cool on a rack and unmold onto a serving plate. Serve at room temperature. Serves 8.