Recipe by Meredith .F
I love the taste of marsala, and I love the ease of casseroles....a winning combo! From Rachael Ray Mag 4/09.
Top Review by Bill
I also tried this from the magazine and loved it so much that I had planned to post it on Recipezaar. I added a bit of fresh rosemary. The smell of the marsala and rosemary was fantastic. I'm planning on replacing the rice with cooked egg noodles while reducing the water and oven time. I think the creamy sauce with the velvety egg noodles would be nice.
- 29.58 ml butter
- 283.49 g mushrooms, sliced
- 22.18 ml flour
- 118.29 ml marsala wine or 118.29 ml white wine
- 118.29 ml heavy cream
- 29.58 ml flat leaf parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 236.59 ml long-grain rice
- 473.18 ml rotisserie chicken, chopped
- 29.58 ml parmesan cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat the butter over medium-high heat until just melted. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the flour on top and stir in for 1 minute. Stir in the marsala and cream and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in 2 cups water, the parsley, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- In a greased 9-inch-by-13-inch casserole, spread the rice in an even layer; top with the chicken. Pour the mushroom gravy on top. Cover snugly with foil and bake until bubbly, about 35 minutes. Discard the foil, sprinkle the parmesan on top and bake for 5 minutes more.