Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I love the taste of marsala, and I love the ease of casseroles....a winning combo! From Rachael Ray Mag 4/09.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 10 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup marsala wine or 1⁄2 cup white wine
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 2 cups rotisserie chicken, chopped
- 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large skillet, heat the butter over medium-high heat until just melted. Add the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle the flour on top and stir in for 1 minute. Stir in the marsala and cream and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Stir in 2 cups water, the parsley, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper.
- In a greased 9-inch-by-13-inch casserole, spread the rice in an even layer; top with the chicken. Pour the mushroom gravy on top. Cover snugly with foil and bake until bubbly, about 35 minutes. Discard the foil, sprinkle the parmesan on top and bake for 5 minutes more.
I also tried this from the magazine and loved it so much that I had planned to post it on Recipezaar. I added a bit of fresh rosemary. The smell of the marsala and rosemary was fantastic. I'm planning on replacing the rice with cooked egg noodles while reducing the water and oven time. I think the creamy sauce with the velvety egg noodles would be nice.
I will make this again for sure. It turned out layered which made it look special. The taste was great. The only change I made was to use 2 cups of chicken broth instead of 2 cups of water. Thank you
This was a solid, filling weeknight meal. We are definitely planning to make it again. I'd call it very good, not excellent hence the four stars.<br/><br/>I did make a few modifications based on reviews I had seen here or there:<br/><br/>- I cooked the chicken in some olive oil in the same skillet and set it aside before adding the butter and mushrooms<br/>- Added 1/2 an onion and a few cloves of garlic to the mushrooms<br/>- Used chicken broth instead of water<br/>- Used 1 cup each of wine and cream<br/>- I used milk instead of cream to save some cals and it didn't seem to make a difference<br/>- Added a few rosemary twigs from the garden and took them out before adding parmesan<br/>- Be very liberal with your parmesan use<br/><br/>Note: I was confused by the directions as to whether you needed to cook the rice in advance. You do not. The water/broth flows to the bottom and the rice is cooked in that.<br/><br/>I love recipes that use rotisserie chicken because I keep the bones to make stock.<br/><br/>Will definitely be put in the dinner rotation!