Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
Crostata con Fichi e Marsala -Courtesy of Cookiesfromitaly.com---I made this with ready made pie crusts: $2.50
For the filling
- 1 1⁄4 lbs dried calimyrna figs, stemmed, coarsely chopped
- 1 3⁄4 cups dry marsala wine
- 1 3⁄4 cups water
- 1⁄4 cup packed golden brown sugar
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
For the crust
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, plus
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature (1 and 3/4 sticks)
- 2 large eggs
- For the filling:
- Combine all ingredients in heavy large saucepan and bring to boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cover and simmer until figs are very tender, about 1 hour.
- Uncover and simmer until liquid reduces slightly, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to medium bowl. Cool slightly. Refrigerate until cool, stirring occasionally (mixture will be thick), about 45 minutes.
- Discard cinnamon sticks. Filling can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and keep chilled.
- For the crust:
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Mix flour, sugar, fennel seeds, and salt in processor. Add butter and 1 egg. Using on/off turns, process until dough forms.
- Gather dough into ball; divide in half. Flatten each half into disk.
- Wrap 1 disk in plastic wrap; refrigerate until cold, at least 30 minutes and up to 1 day.
- Press remaining dough disk onto bottom and up sides of 10-inch-diameter tart pan with removable bottom.
- Pierce bottom all over with fork.
- Chill until firm, about 10 minutes. Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and keep chilled.
- Roll out chilled dough disk on waxed paper to 12-inch round.
- Transfer dough on waxed paper to rimless baking sheet.
- Cut dough into twelve 3/4-inch-wide strips.
- Chill strips while filling tart. Spread filling evenly in crust.
- Place 6 dough strips atop filling, spacing evenly. Place remaining 6 strips diagonally atop first 6 strips, forming diamond lattice pattern. Press ends of strips against edge of tart pan to trim.
- Whisk remaining egg in small bowl to blend; brush over lattice.
- Bake tart until juices bubble thickly around edges and crust is deep golden, about 55 minutes.
- Cool on rack 1 hour. Using small knife, gently loosen tart from pan sides. Remove sides.
- Serve slightly warm or at room temperature with ice cream. Serves 8.
- That's it!