Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
This recipe was my first attempt at making biscotti and they came out pretty good! Excellent with a cup of coffee or glass of your favourite Italian wine.
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup dry marsala wine
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup natural almonds, very coarsely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup slivered almonds
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper or foil coated with baking spray.
- In a large bowl, stir the butter with the sugar.
- Beat in the eggs, one at a time, then the Marsala, zest, lemon juice, vanilla and salt until just combined.
- In another bowl, stir the flour with the baking powder.
- Stir the flour mixture along with the chopped almonds into the egg mixture until combined; the dough will be sticky.
- Divide the dough in half; dollop lengthwise on the lined baking sheet.
- Wetting your hands with cold water, flatten the dough into long rectangular logs about 1/2 inch thick extending from one end of the sheet to the other. Logs should be at least 2 inches apart on the sheet.
- Sprinkle the tops with slivered almonds; gently pat down the dough.
- Bake in the centre of the oven until lightly golden on the edges and firm to the touch, about 30 minutes.
- Slide the parchment or foil onto a cutting board.
- Using a large sharp knife, cut crosswise into the slices about 1/2 inch thick.
- Picking up the segments, stand the biscotti upright about 1/2 inch apart on the unlined cookie sheet.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees F; bake the biscotti in the centre of the oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until lightly golden and crisp.
- Cool on a rack, then store in an airtight container for up to a month, or freeze.