1/4 Photos of Marra's Fried Tomato and Mozzarella Arancini
There are many arancini (or rice ball) recipes out there, many complicated, many just parmesan and chicken stock or milanese. I recreated what i got at school in Italy in grade 7. I love them and they are easy. If you have 2 cups of short grain cooked rice left over use them. Or if you have any tomato sauce and cooked short grain rice left over then just mix them together, and proceed to adding the mozzarella, dredge and cook.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1First of all put the olive oil in a heavy saucepan on medium heat and add onion and garlic until softened. then add rice coating it in oil.
- 2Put 1/2 cup of water and 1/2 cup of tomato sauce in a measuring cup and slowly add a quarter cup, stirring constantly until absorbed, then add another quarter cup until done. This is a bit of a slow process, you want the rice to absorb the sauce before adding more. It is important to continuously stir, like any risotto or the bottom will burn. Once this is done, then add a 1/2c of water/tomato sauce mix, until absorbed, taste and add more if necessary. Until you get nice tender rice.
- 3Set aside to cool.
- 4Set up breading station, with a bowl for the 2 eggs, whisk, a bowl for bread crumbs and a bowl for flour.
- 5Take a small handful with wet hands of the cooled risotto, and make a dent. put 1 cube of mozzarella in it and cover it in a circle. I admit i put large amts of mozzarella in lol. Dredge in flour, then egg and then bread crumbs. My own preference is to dredge them again in egg and breadcrumbs but that is up to you.
- 6Make all your arancini (means small oranges) and heat the canola or other frying oil to medium high in a skillet. Place the balls in batches, turning as each side browns. Remove and drain.
- 7You will hear and see a few "leaking" cheese very quickly. I take those out sooner and after draining give it 15 seconds in the microwave before serving so they totally melt the cheese without it disappearing where I can't eat it into the oil.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Marra's Fried Tomato and Mozzarella Arancini
Serving Size: 1 (571 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 858.2
- Calories from Fat 348
- Total Fat 38.7 g
- Saturated Fat 11.9 g
- Cholesterol 255.7 mg
- Sodium 1389.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 99.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.1 g
- Sugars 10.5 g
- Protein 28.1 g