Recipe by bluemoon downunder
Another recipe which I found in Greek chef and restaurateur Theodore Kyriakou’s ‘real greek food', which he co-authored with food writer Charles Campion. So simple, so delicious and so quintessentially Greek! A really quick to make, fabulous side dish to serve with grilled meat and fish dishes, or with pasta and rice dishes. This recipe - for a classic lettuce salad - is from the island of Cos and, apparently, "from everywhere else in Greece"! When you come across a recipe like this one, you cannot be in the least surprised that Kyriakou maintains that “the term “Greek Salad” is one of the most abused in the world”.
Top Review by evelyn/athens
We love this simple salad. It is very popular here in Greece, especially in winter, and often accompanies a rich, roast meat and is eaten to 'clean the mouth'. Lemon juice is also good in the vinaigrette instead of vinegar. This recipe is 100% authentic.
- 150 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 romaine lettuce, shredded very finely
- 1 bunch spring onion, finely chopped, including the green parts
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped dill weed
- sea salt, to taste
- fresh ground pepper, to taste