Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Beef Stew made from combining several recipes. Tried and tested, Great flavor!
- 2 lbs stewing beef or 2 lbs beef chuck
- 8 large potatoes
- 16 ounces fresh baby carrots
- 1 large yellow onion
- 4 -6 cloves garlic
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces white flour
- 1 can tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper (Fresh ground)
- 2 bottles good dark beer
- 8 ounces ketchup
- 6 cups water
- Add salt and pepper to flour.
- cube meat into 1 or 2 inch pieces.
- Coat beef with flour and spices.
- combine and heat oils.
- brown beef over high flame 5 minutes.
- add beer, tomato paste, ketchup, and water.
- bring to boil and reduce to medium heat.
- Simmer covered 60 min.
- stir every 20 minutes.
- saute garlic and onion together.
- add bay leaves, garlic, onion, carrots,potatoes additional salt and pepper added to taste.
- Cook for 1 hour.
- Enjoy immediately or allow to rest over night for richest taste.
Pretty great, but I didn't include the ketchup in mine.
Great recipe. I used a local black malt beer which is non-alchoholic. I also threw everything into a roasting bag, tied a knot in it and tossed it into the crock pot. Hours later we had a wonderful dinner with very little clean-up.
Great recipe. I use Black & Tan beer which is very bitter, but rounded out the sweetness of the katchup and tomatoe paste quite nicely. I also added about a tablespoon of crushed red pepper flakes.