Prep 10 mins
Cook 5 mins
Marmite is made from brewers yeast and is very concentrated. It has a salty taste that is so good! New Zealanders are said to favor Marmite over Vegemite. I like both! Enjoy! I adapted this recipe from a Marmite website. This is also a Brithsh recipe!
- 1 French bread, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1⁄2 teaspoon margarine (or butter-for each slice of bread)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon marmite (or Vegemite-for each slice of bread-more or less to taste)
- 1 (6 ounce) can tuna (in olive oil)
- 2 tomatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch salt
- fresh ground black pepper
- fresh basil (to garnish, or use parsley or herb of choice)
- Slice the bread in 1/2" slices and place on baking sheet. Toast bread under broiler until just turning golden brown, about 2-3 minutes.
- Spread a little butter and marmite on the toasted bread slices and bake the bread and place under the broiler one more minute to heat.
- Drain the tuna and mash lightly. Set aside.
- Slice tomatoes and mix with olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
- To serve, place one slice of tomato on top of toast. Top with tuna mixture and place a leaf of basil(or herb of choice) over the tuna. Enjoy!