Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
We love minute steak... our butcher does a really nice job and I always want to try a new way to prepare it, I have done this before but I really liked it today...maybe it was the wine? The wine I put into the sauce... lol Minute steak is really tender off the bat but I am sure that if you simmered round or serlion steak about an hour it would be really tender too. This is especially yummy with mashed potatoes, but nice with rice or pasta too.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs minute steaks, sliced in 1/2 - 3/4 in X 2 in strips (Minute steak is round steak, pre tenderized by crushing or cutting the grain cut of steak, usually b)
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons pepper, freshly ground
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, more as required
- 1 sweet pepper, green, sliced
- 1 onion, white cut in wedges
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot (optional carrot and celery slices)
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes (reserve 1/4 cup liquid to mix with flour for rue)
- 1 teaspoon Keen's dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup red wine (I like Merlot)
- Slice Minute Steak as directed.
- Coat slices in flour and spice mixture untill covered - (hold remaining flour aside for thickening sauce later).
- Fry meat untill browned in olive oil - you will likely have to do it in three batches, adding oil as required.
- Remove meat and set aside in bowl
- Spray pan with *Pam* or add a bit more olive oil and saute vegs for 8 min or so untill tender crisp.
- Place meat and vegs in large saucepan and add the tomatoes and 1/2 cup water -- (I like to use my potatoe water) simmer 5 - 10 minute
- Add Keenes mustard to remaining flour and make a smooth paste with 1/2 cup water, tomatoe juices and worchestershire sauce.