Recipe by Marmie's
This is a very easy recipe that I have changed over the years, but originally it came from a hospital I worked at and was used to help overweight patients lose weight before surgery. I make it because my whole family loves it and it is so low in calories it is pretty much a free food when I am dieting. I do not care for cabbage in soup so this suits us just fine! I have made it in the crock pot as well with great success. There is a 'diet meal plan' that goes with the original recipe if anyone is interested.. This freezes wonderfully, so I put some of it in small personal sized containers and thaw as required for my hubby and my self for lunches. Servings are estimated, it makes a large pot full. I hope you like it!
Top Review by racamp50
Excellent and super easy! Cooks fabulous in crockpot and is a wonderful meal to come home to now that the weather is cooling down. I have made this twice in the last week and the family loves it as well. Only changes I made were to reduce tomatoes to 1 can, added Italian and yellow squash. Used beef broth. Skipped the vegetable soup mix. Highly recommend giving this soup a try.
- 2 lbs carrots, chopped (I often use the little baby carrots for quickness)
- 2 green peppers, Chopped
- 1 bunch celery, Chopped
- 1 bunch green onion, Chopped
- 2 cups green beans (I like french cut frozen green beans or 2 Cups fresh green beans, but you could use 2 cans of green )
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes, chopped (I prefer 3 cups of fresh tomatoes peeled and chopped if I have time)
- 1 (40 g) package vegetable soup mix (optional, can be added toward the end of simmering.. more calories, carbs and sodium and may not be )
- 1 liter beef bouillon (optional... but can use vegetable flavor too)
- 4 cups water (or to quantity desired)
- 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- herbs, and spices to your personal taste
- 1 tablespoon Frank's red hot sauce (start with only a bit and add to taste!)
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients in a large dutch oven except for soup mix and hot sauce --
- Bring to boil for 5 min,
- Reduce heat to simmer for 1 hour or use a slow cooker for about 7 hours.
- Add soup mix and hot sauce to taste.
- Simmer 10 more minutes.
- If you are not dieting some Parmesan or Mozza on top is lovely.