Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This was the first time I made Fennel... so I just put things I really like together. (I bet you could add just about any other vegetable to this!) Well it was so very yummy and received raves from my family. I find it incredibly easy and a perfect make ahead dish that frees up time when entertaining. I served it with salmon and it was exquisite!
- 3 fennel bulbs
- 1 red onion
- 1 sweet red pepper (tasty but optional)
- 10 fresh garlic cloves, peeled and coarsely crushed (or more.. I like more )
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil, more if desired (High quality EVOO)
- 2 ounces lemon juice
- 3 ounces white wine
- 1 cup black olives, kalamalta whole pitted (optional)
- 2 tablespoons rosemary, lightly chopped (I like fresh)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon peppercorn, coarsely ground
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Place the following in a greased casserole (or Ziplock bag if preparing ahead.).
- Cut top and bottom of Fennel away, saving green leafy top as you can eat the whole Fennel using it for garnish or in salads.
- Peel exterior layer off Fennel.
- Cut Fennel in quarters lengthwise, then cut each quarter again if it is a large Fennel, and cut away 'core' from each piece. Place sliced Fennel in bowl or Zipper bag.
- Peel and slice Red Onion in quarters length wise. Add to Fennel.
- Core, seed and slice Red Pepper in similar manner. Add to Fennel.
- ***NOTE *** To coarsely crush garlic a little bit easier -- Break the head of the garlic into individual cloves with your hands and discard paper covering. Slice bottom of each garlic clove away and discard end. Place clove on a cutting board, lay a wide knife flat, or a spatula over the clove and smack it with your fist to crush it! The paper will just pop away, discard paper. Use garlic clove as desired.
- Peel and crush garlic cloves. Add to Fennel.
- Add Olives to Fennel.
- Add 1/4 cup olive oil, rosemary, kosher salt and pepper, mix coating vegs with the oil and spices.
- Mix lemon juice and wine in separate cup add 1/2 of the liquid to Fennel and mix all together.
- Set remainder of wine/lemon liquid aside until/if required during roasting.
- Pour fennel mixture into an appropriately sized casserole dish if not already there. If coming from a bag take a spatula and scrape all the yummy seasonings out of the bag and pour over vegs.
- Roast in oven at 425 degrees for approximately 30-45 min uncovered until nicely golden and softened.
- Stir occasionally to prevent burning.
- Add remaining wine/lemon mix to fennel if necessary while roasting.
I think you have amazing taste buds to just "put this together"-it really is delicious. We ate this as a side for a roast fillet of beef and I loved it for it's super simplicity and it's great flavours. The only tiny alteration I made to your recipe was to add two finely chopped anchovies which worked really well with the other flavours. I can imagine this at room temp on a picnic, or with mushrooms, zucchini or eggplant in there if they needed to be used. Thanks so much for our dinner tonight.