I had decided it was time to begin purging my pantry and freezers in preperation for the fall frenzie of delectables coming in from the garden. I found a frozen bag of leftover baked ham ( I thought initially it was roast beef :( ) from Thanksgiving and wanted to make something yummy... though I am tired of baked beans every time we have ham.. I searched for a recipe and could not find what I was looking for, so I had to get creative.. We really liked this soup and next time I think I will add another hot pepper or two as well as a bit of frozen peaches and cream corn, or perhaps a bit of pot barley or rice?
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups ham, leftover baked ham
- 1 cup ham drippings (add slowly to taste as the juices are salty)
- 1 potato, Red medium in size diced
- 7 carrots, - Small to medium in size sliced thinly
- 1 medium white onion, diced
- 3 -4 hot peppers, fresh chopped very finely (I used the seeds too)
- 2 (14 ounce) cans chopped tomatoes (I used 1 with basil, garlic and oregano and 1 can green pepper celery and onion)
- 1/2 cup frozen spinach, 'chopped nuggets' (about 4)
- 3 cups chicken broth (I boil my leftover roasting chickens with vegs and onions and seasonings, de bone it and freeze it i)
- 1/2 cup dry lentils, cleaned and rinsed (black or brown)
- 1 (28 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1In a large soup pot pour in 1/4 cup of the ham broth, add carrot and onion, simmer for 5 minute.
- 2Add everything else except the spinach, ham and canned black beans, simmer for 30 min untill carrot and lentils are tender.
- 3Add 1/2 the can of Black beans to soup pot.
- 4Blend with hand blender (ie: Braun) just slightly, to thicken the broth but not make soup mash.
- 5Add remaining Black beans, ham and spinach and simmer another 10 min or so to heat through.
- 6Add pepper to taste. (though I added no spices as the canned tomatoes were spiced and the peppers offered a nice zip, as well the ham is plenty salty!
- 7I served it with corn bread and it was a really simple rainy summer night kind of meal! Garnish with fresh parm.
- 8I hope you enjoy it as well.
Browse Our Top Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Marmie's Blackbean With Ham and Vegetable Soup.
Serving Size: 1 (286 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 185.7
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 12.1 mg
- Sodium 580.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.2 g
- Sugars 4.8 g
- Protein 14.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: