Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
It seems silly posting something as simple as a baked potato, but this is so darn good! I created this when I was eighteen and we did a lot of entertaining...usually bring your own meat bbq's lol. I like it because it has everything in it, including it's own bacon bits, travels well, can be prepared ahead of time and gets rave reviews every time and is most always requested. Note: Depending on what meat I am serving I will add an appropriate herb to my potato, eg: if I am cooking lamb I will add rosemary to my potato. You can let your potato cook longer to get that delish crispy peel....nummy.
- 4 potatoes, white
- 1 onion, in 8 thin slices
- 1 garlic clove, in 4 slivers
- 4 teaspoons butter (optional but yummy)
- 4 pinches salt
- 4 pinches pepper
- 4 teaspoons parsley
- 4 teaspoons herbs, of your choice to compliment the rest of the meal
- 4 slices bacon
- 120 ml sour cream (optional)
- 4 teaspoons chives (optional)
- Scrub potatoes; do not peel.
- Tear 4 pieces of foil about 12 inches square depending on the size of your potato.
- Cut potato lengthwise in half but not quite all the way through.
- Place 2 slices onion, 1 slice garlic, butter and herbs in centre of potato.
- Wrap bacon around potato over lengthwise cut, covering onion and other fillings.
- Place potato on foil and fold ends of foil together to seal tightly so it will not leak when cooking.
- This can be baked in the oven at 350F for about an hour.
- This can be barbecued on indirect heat about an hour -- at 400 degrees.
- This can also be baked at the edge of a fire near the coals.
- In all cases you must monitor that they do not burn and turn somewhat frequently. They will feel quite soft when squeezed with your fingertips. (protect your hands from heat).
- Top with garnish and enjoy.
Oh... my... goodness! What a delicious and easy recipe! I followed the directions exactly as written, and the potatoes turned out perfectly tender and moist with loads of flavor. I garnished my serving with sour cream and chives, but it would have been fine stand-alone. Wonderful! Thanks for sharing!
I have fixed these several times now and can't believe I didn't rate them! This is a wonderful way to do baked potatoes. I haven't added any herbs, just onion, garlic and bacon bits. I rub the skin with garlic flavored olive oil and sprinkle with kosher salt before wrapping the bacon. Thank you for such a tasty, easy recipe!