Prep 25 mins
Cook 20 mins
From "Christmas Cookies"...untested by me but sounds like a marmalade-lovers dream! :o)
- 6 tablespoons butter or 6 tablespoons margarine, softened
- 1⁄2 cup sugar, divided
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ, divided
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped pecans, divided
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup orange marmalade
- sifted powdered sugar (optional)
- Cream butter in medium mixing bowl.
- Gradually add 1/4 c sugar; beat until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolks, orange rind, and vanilla; beat until well-blended.
- In separate bowl, combine flour, 1/4 c wheat germ, 1/4 c pecans, and salt.
- Add flour mixture to creamed mixture; combine well.
- Press dough evenly into ungreased 8x8 baking dish, across bottom and up 1" on all sides to make a crust.
- Bake at 350 for 12-15 min or until golden brown.
- While dough is baking, prepare meringue: Beat egg whites (at room temp) until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add remaining 1/4 c sugar (1 Tbsp at a time), beating until stiff peaks form.
- Fold in remaining 1/4 c wheat germ and 1/4 c pecans; set aside.
- Spread marmalade over warm crust; top with meringue.
- Bake at 350 for 18-20 min or until golden brown.
- Cool in pan on wire rack.
- Sprinkle w/powdered sugar, if desired.
- Cut into bars or squares.
- Store in airtight container for up to 1 week.