1/1 Photo of Marmalade Layer Cake - TO DIE FOR
Erica Vasta's Note:
As soon as I tasted this I had to get onto email and send the recipe to all my baking friends! It has a rich and dense texture that everybody just LOVED!
My Private Note
9x9 inc ...
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup softened butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
- 1 cup juice (same flavour as marmalade)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup marmalade (your favourite)
- 1Preheat oven to 325 and butter two 9 inch round cake pans, line with parchment or waxed paper, and then butter the paper.
- 2Sift flour, baking soda and salt in a bowl.
- 3In another bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter until light, add the sugar a little at a time and beat until light and fluffy.
- 4Beat in the eggs and vanilla.
- 5Beat in 1/3 of the dry ingredients alternately with 1/2 of the butter milk until combined well.
- 6Add half the remaining dry ingredients and the remaining butter milk, beat until combined well.
- 7finally add in the remaining dry ingredients and beat until smooth.
- 8Evenly divide the batter between pans and bake for 45 minutes or until a cake tester interted comes out clean.
- 9(The cake turns a dark golden brown) Leave the cakes in the pans Meanwhile make the syrup by mixing the juice and sugar until dissolved.
- 10Once the cake is cooked, poke holes 1/2 inch apart with a toothpick and spoon the syrup over each layer.
- 11Let the layers cool completely in the pans.
- 12When the cakes are cool, heat the marmalade over moderate heat until it's meltetd and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- 13Place the first layer on a cake plate and carefully peel off the waxed paper Spread 2/3 of the marmalade over the top right to the edge.
- 14Invert the remaining layer and peel off the waxed paper.
- 15Spoon the Marmalade onto the center of it, leaving a 1 1/4 inch rim bare along the edges.
- 16In another bowl prepare the frosting by whisking the heavy cream with the sugar until stiff peaks form.
- 17Add the sour cream a little at a time and whisk until spreading consistency.
- 18Spread the frosting along the sides of the cake and along the bare rim on the top, leaving the marmalde on the top exposed.
- 19Chill for 2 hours at least and STAND BACK when you serve it!
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Marmalade Layer Cake - TO DIE FOR
Serving Size: 1 (2166 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 6989.2
- Calories from Fat 2763
- Total Fat 307.0 g
- Saturated Fat 186.8 g
- Cholesterol 1452.8 mg
- Sodium 3913.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 1012.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 12.3 g
- Sugars 694.6 g
- Protein 77.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: