Recipe by Lorraine of AZ
Oh, this is good! It is a cool and creamy mint-flavored chocolate mousse studded with cubes of airy angel-food cake -- a super summer dessert! Cookbook author Sorosky says this tastes "just like an exquisite chocolate after-dinner mint." Cooking time is actually chilling time.
- 1 1⁄2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips, about 9 ounces
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 3 large eggs, separated and at room temperature
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1 (10 inch) white angel food cake (may be homemade or store-bought)
- 1 cup whipping cream (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir chocolate chips, sugar, milk and mint extract in top of a double boiler over simmering water until chocolate is melted. Remove from heat.
- Whisk egg yolks in a small bowl until blended; whisk into chocolate. Beat egg whites in medium-size bowl with electric mixer on low speed until foamy. Beat on high speed until soft, rounded peaks form. Spoon over chocolate without mixing.
- Beat cream in same mixing bowl on low speed until thickened. Beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Fold chocolate and egg-white mixture into whipped cream until no streaks of white remain.
- Cut angel-food cake into 1-inch pieces. Place layer of cake pieces on bottom of an 8- x 3-inch springform pan. (Or you may use an 8-1/ x 2-inch springform pan.) You'll use half the cake. Top with half the mousse. repeat a second layer of cake and remaining mousse in the same manner.
- Smooth top evenly with a spatula. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. The dessert may be refrigerated up to 2 days, or it may be frozen, covered with plastic wrap and foil, if desired. Defrost wrapped cake in refrigerator overnight.
- To serve: several hours before serving, remove sides of springform pan. Beat remaining whipping cream until stiff. Spoon into pastry bag fitted with 1-inch rosette or star tip and pipe rows of whipped cream going up the sides and 1 rosette in the center. Or, spread whipped cream over top and sides, if desired. Chill at least 4 hours.