Recipe by D. Todd Miller
This recipe appeared in my local newspaper as part of a syndicated column "Fave Foods of the Famous." This recipe is from the Academy-Award-winning deaf actress Marlee Matlin. This is one of my favorite flank steak recipes, and worth the trouble to find Chinkiang Vinegar (try Whole Foods or The Fresh Market, if these stores are in your area).
Top Review by Linda's Busy Kitchen
I made this for supper tonight and it was excellent! I loved the combination of flavors from the citrus and vinegar along with the sauces. I let the steak marinate for 6 hrs. then grilled on a nice hot grill to sear in the juices. I served the steak with jasmine rice and stir-fried broccoli, mushrooms, onions and snow peas. Excellent! Thank you for sharing your recipe with us Todd! Made for My-3-Chefs Fall 2008 Linda
- 2 lbs lean flank steak
- 1⁄2 cup Chinkiang vinegar (a black rice vinegar)
- 1⁄2 cup light soy sauce
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 large onion, sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- In a bowl, mix vinegar, soy sauce, worcestershire sauce, orange juice, garlic, salt, pepper, and lemon pepper. (The orange should be the dominant taste, so add juice if needed).
- Place steak in container and pour marinade over it, then add onions on top. Let sit in refrigerator for at least one hour.
- Grill to desired level of doneness.