Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This pie is delicious, with a very unique flavor. I read somewhere Marlborough Pies were originally one of the traditional Thanksgiving desserts. Hope you enjoy it! I got the recipe from a Domino sugar brochure many years ago.
- 1 cup applesauce
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon, rind of, grated
- 1⁄2 cup light brown sugar, plus
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 9 inches pie shells, lightly baked
- sweetened whipped cream, if desired (to garnish)
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Combine all the ingredients except the pie crust and blend well.
- Pour into the pie crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to 350 and bake 15 minutes longer, until a knife inserted halfway between the center and the edge comes outclean.
- Cool on a wire rack If desired, garnish with sweetened whipped cream.
- NOTE: To avoid the crust from browning too quickly, cover the edges with aluminum foil and remove 10 minutes for the pie finishing baking.