Chef #379453's Note:
Oh No ! I lost my cookbook for Marlboro Texas Red ! I had the paperback cookbook recipe for this - and have fixed it for YEARS now. The best flavor ever - but Way too hot for me. My hubby, however, loves it's head sweat producing heat. To tame it down so I,too, can enjoy it, I add two cans of rinsed Pintos and a can of chopped tomatoes. Believe me - it is still plenty hot ! Instead of the Suet the recipe calls for I cook 1/4 lb of bacon down and use the grease from it. Since the beef I use is very lean, the end result is not grease laden, but I do cool it to remove any grease that rises to the top. To serve I place a slice of cornbread on the bottom of the bowl, ladle the chilli over and top with grated cheddar cheese
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 lb suet, finely chopped (render suet and discard rind)
- 6 lbs beef, extra lean, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons ground oregano
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 2 tablespoons cayenne pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 2 quarts beef stock
- 1/2 cup masa harina
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2can of pinto beans, rinsed
- 3can chopped tomatoes.
- 5grease from 1/4 lb. bacon in place of suet.
- 6Add beef, pound at a time, to the grease rendered from suet and brown (or substitute bacon grease). After each pound is browned, remove.
- 7( this leaves most of the grease and juice in the browning pan)
- 8When all meat is browned, put your meat in a chili pot and add seasonings and beef stock.
- 9Cover and simmer for 2 hours. Skim fat.
- 10Combine masa (harina) and cold water and stir into chili.
- 11Simmer for 30 minutes.
- 12NOTE: We cook this a lot longer - until the meat is fork tender and the sauce is nice and thick.
- 13NOTE: At this point I add rinsed pinto beans and chopped tomatoes at this point to my half of the chili.
- 14Serve in bowls on top of a slice of cornbread, with optional grated cheddar cheese, sour cream and green onions.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Marlboro Texas Red Chili - Hot Hot Hot !
Serving Size: 1 (642 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2517.8
- Calories from Fat 2326
- Total Fat 258.4 g
- Saturated Fat 108.5 g
- Cholesterol 346.7 mg
- Sodium 2996.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.7 g
- Sugars 1.3 g
- Protein 34.2 g