1/3 Photos of Marlboro Country Chicken Fried Steak (Country Fried)
This is true southern cuisine, the flavors in this recipe are a little more complex than the basic chicken fried steak. Not being a real Texan I don't like mine with gravy, but it would be blasphemy not to post the gravy recipe as well. This recipe also works well for venison (first soak meat in milk to remove the gamey taste). Makes excellent sandwiches the next day (serve leftovers on texas toast). Storing this recipe on Zaar cause I couldn't find it last time I had a craving!
My Private Note
cups gr ...
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs round steaks
- 1 (5 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons green Tabasco jalapeno sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked pepper
- vegetable oil or other fat, for frying
- 1Trim steak, cut into 6 to 8 smaller pieces and pound thin.
- 2Combine milk, green Tabasco sauce, and salt in one bowl. Add 1 cup of flour to a second bowl. Combine remaining flour, paprika, garlic, salt and pepper in a third bowl.
- 3Coat steak in first bowl of plain flour. Dip floured steak into milk mixture then coat with seasoned flour mixture. Set aside until all meat has been coated.
- 4Heat 1 to 2 inches of oil or fat in a heavy fry pan (a cast-iron skillet is most authentic ;).
- 5Fry steaks approximately 2 min per side until golden brown.
- 6Drain on paper towels, serve with cream gravy, mashed potatoes and biscuits.
- 7For the Cream Gravy: (try at your own risk, it did not turn out for me but I am a gravy novice so I might have done something wrong -- ).
- 8Pour off all but 6 tbsp of fat from the fry pan.
- 9Using the leftover seasoned flour first, add 6 tbsp flour and blend well.
- 10Gradually stir in milk.
- 11Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened, season with salt and pepper.
- 12Serve gravy over steaks (or on the side for Yankees!).
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Marlboro Country Chicken Fried Steak (Country Fried)
Serving Size: 1 (401 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 688.8
- Calories from Fat 290
- Total Fat 32.2 g
- Saturated Fat 13.8 g
- Cholesterol 186.6 mg
- Sodium 814.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.5 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 56.4 g