1/1 Photo of Mark's Favorite Classic Double-Crust Apple Pie
3 hrs 30 mins
1 hr 30 mins
Tart apples and sweet ones come together in this all-American favorite. Prep time includes cooling. Using your food processor to slice the apples will save time in preparation.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 10 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup chilled vegetable shortening, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 4 tablespoons ice water (about)
- vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 3/4 lbs sweet apples, such as spartan or golden delicious,peeled,cored,thinly sliced (about 5 1/2 cups)
- 1 3/4 lbs tart apples, such as granny smith or pippin,peeled,cored,thinly sliced (about 5 1/2 cups)
- 3/4 cup sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, plus
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, diced
- 1 tablespoon whole milk
- 1For crust: Whisk flour and salt in large bowl to blend.
- 2Add butter and shortening and rub in with fingertips until very coarse meal forms.
- 3Sprinkle with 3 tablespoons water; toss until moist clumps form, adding more water by teaspoonfuls if mixture is dry.
- 4Gather dough into ball; divide in half.
- 5Flatten into disks.
- 6Wrap in plastic; chill at least 1 hour.
- 7(Can be made 1 day ahead. Keep refrigerated. Soften slightly at room temperature before using.) For filling: Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 8Spray 9-inch-diameter deep-dish glass pie dish with nonstick spray.
- 9Stir all apples, 3/4 cup sugar, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and vanilla in large bowl to blend.
- 10Let stand until juices form, about 15 minutes.
- 11Mix in flour.
- 12Roll out 1 dough disk on lightly floured surface to 12-inch round.
- 13Place dough in prepared pie dish.
- 14Spoon in filling; dot with butter.
- 15Roll out second dough disk to 13-inch round.
- 16Using small bottle cap, cut out ten 1/2-inch-diameter circles from dough for decoration; discard circles.
- 17Drape dough over filling.
- 18Seal top and bottom crust edges together; trim to 1/2-inch overhang.
- 19Fold overhang under; crimp decoratively.
- 20Brush pie with milk.
- 21Combine remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and large pinch of cinnamon in small bowl; sprinkle over pie.
- 22Transfer pie to baking sheet; place in oven.
- 23Immediately reduce temperature to 375°F.
- 24Bake pie until crust is golden brown, apples are tender and filling is bubbling thickly, covering edge with foil if browning too quickly, about 1 hour.
- 25Cool 30 minutes.
- 26Serve warm or at room temperature.
- 27(Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover loosely; store at room temperature.).
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mark's Favorite Classic Double-Crust Apple Pie
Serving Size: 1 (358 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 608.8
- Calories from Fat 290
- Total Fat 32.3 g
- Saturated Fat 15.7 g
- Cholesterol 49.8 mg
- Sodium 151.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 78.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 41.2 g
- Protein 4.9 g