2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 40 mins
Bread Baker Mark's Note:
This Ezekiel bread more closely resembles the biblical bread because it uses balanced proportions of the six main ingredients. The directions are detailed to ensure good results because the method varies from traditional bread making. This loaf as a whole will weight about 1 2/3 lbs baked, using mostly organic ingredients at best available prices local to me costs about $2.00 in ingredients (the first 7 may be purchased either whole or as flour). The amino acids are balanced well in this bread, making it a complete protein (comparable to quinoa).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 100 g hard red winter whole wheat (other whole varieties ok)
- 100 g whole spelt
- 100 g hulled or hull-less barley (pearled is not whole grain)
- 50 g millet
- 50 g red or pink lentils
- 50 g soybeans (substitute garbanzo for less savory and more sweet)
- 2 g coriander
- 4 g paprika (sweet or domestic)
- 4 g salt
- 3 g xanthan gum (substitute 4-5g guar gum)
- 8 g active dry yeast
- 6 g caraway seeds (crushed)
- 7 g molasses (1 tsp, substitute maple syrup, honey)
- 338 g filtered water (barely >1.5 cups)
- 1Warm oven: turn on for one minute with door open, then turn oven off and close door.
- 2Steam oven: add water to small pot and bring to boil, then place pot without lid inside warmed oven.
- 3Make liquid mix: (done once per loaf), add water and sugar (molasses, honey, etc) into small bowl, heat in microwave for 1 minute, place in steamed oven
- 4Make dry mix: (done once per loaf), Measure ingredients to grind + 2%, grind, sift ground ingredients once discarding chunks, Measure powdered ingredients, mix with ingredients just ground, sift full mixture once, Crush caraway seeds (with mortar and pestle or blender) then add to mixture.
- 5Grease bread pans: no crisco/margarine, olive oil is ok, organic butter is best.
- 6Recharge steam: remove pot with water from oven, again bring to boil, place back inside oven.
- 7Prepare dough: (done once per loaf), Mix liquid and dry ingredients into uniform dough, Press dough into bread pan, shaping as desired, Place full bread pan into steamed oven.
- 8Rise: let dough rise about 40 minutes, do not open oven, leave steaming pot in oven.
- 9Baking: turn oven on to 400° F and immediately remove steaming pot, bake for 32-35 minutes, bread is done when internal temperature is >205° F and before top/bottom burn.
- 10Cooling: remove bread from oven, turn oven off, in 10-20 minutes, remove bread from pan and place on wire rack to cool, in 1 hour, slice bread and place on paper towel inside plastic bag, leave plastic bag open, in 1 hour, using a different paper towel wipe the condensation from inside of bag, close bag and store.
- 11Storing: keeps 3-5 days at room temperature, 2+ weeks in refrigerator, months in freezer.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mark's Ezekiel 4:9 Bread
Serving Size: 1 (74 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 141.2
- Calories from Fat 13
- Total Fat 1.4 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 133.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 1.6 g
- Protein 6.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: