Recipe by Terra Verde Coffeehouse
Don't throw away that turkey carcass... make a delicious gumbo. More than just turkey sandwiches for the day after.
- 1 turkey carcass
- 1 lb smoked sausage
- 1⁄2 lb okra (full pound if you really like okra)
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 medium yellow onions
- 1 big bell pepper
- 4 long celery ribs (with leaves)
Directions See How It's Made
- Making Turkey Stock.
- Boil all bones (with meat on) in 6 qt of water. Add 1/2 of chopped onion and 1 celery stalk chopped. Simmer until the meat falls of the bone by simply touching. About 2-3 hours. Debone turkey and mince in blender or food processor. Place back in stock. Let cool.
- Making Rue
- In a pot melt stick of butter. Whisk in the flour and don't stop whisking or stirring until mixture slowly turns dark tan brown.
- Making Gumbo (makes about a gallon).
- To the Rue, stir in the chopped onions, celery, bell peppers and garlic. Add all spices keep stirring until veggies are soft and almost mushy. Slowly add the stock (keep stirring) until everything is together. Add sliced sausage and okra. If you want the okra not to slimy then boil it or sear brown first. Simmer the whole gumbo further for about another 20-30min or until the gumbo looks thick, rich and absolutely delicious. Add salt, or more spice to taste. (I recommend tabasco sauce)
- Serve over white rice.