Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I use to go to a mall here and they had the best Indian fry bread. You could get refried beans and cheese on top or have it with melted butter and sugar and cinnamon. Either way it was so good. I found this recipe in an Indian newspaper a long time ago and it is just like I ate at the mall.
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1⁄4 cup warm water
- 1⁄4 cup oil (for frying)
- Mix together flour, salt, and baking powder.
- Add warm water and shortening.
- Put on floured surface and knead a few times (add more flour if needed). Let stand for 30 minutes.
- You can pinch off pieces and roll out, or roll out all dough and cut--you want it about 1/4" thick and 5" diameter.
- Fry till golden brown on both sides.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Great served with refried beans, cheese, lettuce, tomato, for an Indian tostada.
My Gramma used to make this but we would dip the bread in sugar and eat it for a dessert.