Recipe by ugogirl
I know, I know....not another meatloaf recipe. I thought the same thing until I made this one. OMG, it was so delicious and well worth the extra work. This raises meatloaf to a whole new level. Serve with roasted garlic mashed potatoes. Mmmmmm. Comfort food at its finest!
Top Review by cici2314
The original recipe also calls for 1 teaspoon black pepper, you can't leave that out!! And I use a plain breakfast sausage ( no fennel). After years of trying to find a good meatloaf recipe, this is the only one I make now.
- 3⁄4 cup onion, minced
- 3⁄4 cup scallion, minced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, minced
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, minced
- 1⁄4 cup green bell pepper, minced
- 1⁄4 cup red bell pepper, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 3⁄4 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1 3⁄4 lbs lean ground beef
- 3⁄4 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large frying pan, saute all the vegetables in butter until soft and dry.
- Put mixture in a large mixing bowl. Add all the dry ingredients, half and half, ketchup, eggs and breadcrumbs.
- Mix in beef and sausage, mixing well.
- With wet hands form into a long narrow loaf. Place in 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until no longer pink.