This is an excellent chowder recipe from a restaurant in Salt Lake City. It has great flavor. Very much worth the effort!!
- 1 cup potato, diced 1/2 inch
- 1 cup celery, diced 1/2 inch
- 1 cup onion, diced 1/2 inch
- 1 cup leek, diced 1/2 inch
- 1 cup green pepper, diced 1/2 inch
- 3⁄4 cup chopped clam (canned or fresh)
- 3⁄4 tablespoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons salt
- 3⁄4 tablespoon whole thyme
- 6 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 3⁄4 cup sherry wine (optional)
- 2 cups water
- 3⁄4 cup clam juice
- 3⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup flour
- 2 quarts half-and-half
- Combine melted butter and flour in oven-proof container and bake at 325 for 30 minutes In large saucepan, combine remaining ingredients except half-and-half.
- Simmer until potatoes are thoroughly cooked.
- Stir butter-flour mixture into chowder and stir until thick.
- Mixture will be slightly less thick than cookie dough.
- Remove chowder from heat.
- Stir in half-and-half until blended.
- Heat to serving temperature, stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately.