Prep 5 mins
Cook 50 mins
Adapted from How to Read a French Fry. The secret to browning these is not to disturb them for the first half hour. Don't use russets for this.
- 2 lbs baby red potatoes, halved (not russets)
- 1 fennel bulb, trimmed and cut into thick wedges
- 8 ounces brown button mushrooms, cleaned and quartered if large (cremini, portobello, etc.)
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 red bell pepper, cored, seeded and cut into thick wedges
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Combine all ingredients in a large shallow roasting pan.
- Toss well to coat all the vegetables.
- Roast for 30 minutes without stirring.
- Shake pan to loosen vegetables.
- Roast until potatoes are crusty and browned, about 20 minutes, stirring once or twice during last 10 minutes.
This was wonderful! So easy, and impressive to serve to company! I was roasting a cut of prime rib, and just put this along side- a wonderful side dish with next to no effort. I have a recipe I usually use for roasted potatoes, but it was nice to try something that had other vegetables as well. Thanks for posting!
WOW! These are great and really easy. I make them a similar way, but usually with onion. The fennel is a great replacement for the onion, and loved the addition of the mushrooms. I cut the recipe in half and did them in my counter-top oven. Thanks for this flavorful keeper.