Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Parade Magazine
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs skinless white fish fillets (like cod, catfish or perch)
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- peanut oil or vegetable oil (for frying)
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves (or 4 pieces for garnish)
- 4 lime wedges (to garnish)
- Heat oven to 200°F.
- Place oven proof platter in it.
- Toss fish with vinegar.
- Combine salt, pepper, turmeric, curry powder and cayenne pepper in small bowl, then rub mixture onto both sides of each fillet.
- Pour at least 1/8" oil inot large nonstick skillet.
- Turn heat to medium high.
- Combine flour with enough warm waterto make a batter about as thick as yogurt.
- Test oil to see if it's hot enough (a piece of flour will sizzle in it).
- Turn heat to high.
- Dunk fillets into batter one at a time, letting excess batter run off, then place fish in pan.
- Do not overcrowd.
- Fry fish, rotating as necessary so filets brown evenly.
- Remove fish when golden and crisp on each side for 5 to 15 minutes.
- Keep warm on platter in oven while you cook remaining fillets.
- Sprinkle cilantro over fish.
- Serve with lime wedges.
I have made this recipe several times and it is delicious!