Recipe by budgiesntiels
I love Mark Bittman's recipes. They are so easy, and use mostly easy to find ingredients. This recipe came from his book How to Cook Everything. In 3O minutes you can have homemade chicken soup. How cool is that?
Top Review by lauralie41
I have been sick and made this soup for my lunch the other day. It was not only easy but so good, very close to homemade in less time. I used Tyson's canned white meat chicken, matchstick carrots and 1 1/2 stalks of celery. Added some lemon pepper along with the salt and pepper and enjoyed! Will be making this again! Made and reviewed for the Iron Chef tag game.
- 5 -6 cups chicken broth
- 1⁄2 cup long grain white rice
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into thin slices
- 1 stalk celery, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chicken, raw
- salt and pepper, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- Place stock in a large, deep saucepan and turn the heat to medium-high.
- when the stock is just about boiling turn the heat down to medium so that it bubbles but not too vigorously.
- Stir in the rice, celery, and carrot.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Stir in the chicken. If raw, cook 5 to 8 minutes or until cooked.
- If chicken is cooked, cook 2 to 3 minutes or until hot.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- ** you can sub 1 cup cooked chicken for the raw, if desired.