1/2 Photos of Mark Bittman's Banana Bread
1 hr 10 mins
I found this recipe online, and I was surprised that it had not been posted here. I usually double this recipe and freeze one loaf. I have many banana bread recipes, but Mark Bittman has deemed this one "the ultimate."
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature (one stick)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 medium bananas, ripe, peeled and mashed with a fork (about 1 cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9″x5″ loaf pan.
- 2In a medium bowl, mix together the flours, salt, and baking powder; set aside.
- 3With an electric mixer, cream the butter with the sugar, then slowly beat in the eggs, bananas, and vanilla.
- 4Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and beat just until combined (do not mix it up too much), being sure to scrape down the edges of the bowl a few times. Gently fold in the chocolate chips (if using).
- 5Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 45 to 60 minutes (mine takes about 55 minutes), until nicely browned.
- 6A toothpick inserted into the center of the bread will come out fairly clean when it is done, but because of the bananas this bread will remain moister than most.
- 7Cool on a rack for 15 minutes before removing from the pan.
Browse Our Top Quick Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mark Bittman's Banana Bread
Serving Size: 1 (1067 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2755.1
- Calories from Fat 955
- Total Fat 106.1 g
- Saturated Fat 62.4 g
- Cholesterol 616.2 mg
- Sodium 3034.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 420.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.7 g
- Sugars 194.7 g
- Protein 44.6 g