Recipe by kelly in TO
This recipes calls for Millet, but you could also try quinoa, teff, or cracked wheat.
Top Review by averybird
This was very tasty- but if you are planning to make this be warned: the millet takes forever to become tender! I had to bake it much longer than recommended & the squash became a little too soft as a result. Next time I am going to try to partially cook the millet before adding it to the casserole- by pouring boiling water over the millet and letting it sit for about 1/2 hour to soften a bit (got this idea from a Madhur Jaffrey recipe). I'll post on the results. Definitely will make this again though - the millet, squash, and cranberries compliment each other nicely, and I love to find good recipes for butternut squash.
- 59.14 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 177.44 ml millet
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 236.59 ml fresh cranberries
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 14.79 ml minced sage leaves or 4.92 ml dried sage
- 29.58 ml maple syrup or 29.58 ml honey
- 118.29 ml vegetable stock
- 295.73 ml cream
- 59.14 ml pumpkin seeds or 59.14 ml coarsely chopped hazelnuts
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375F and grease a 9x13-inch baking dish with olive oil.
- Put 2 tablespoons of oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add the millet and cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant and golden, about 2-3 minutes. Do not overcook. Spread in the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Scatter the squash or pumpkin cubes and the cranberries on top of the millet. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and the sage and drizzle with syrup. Mix together the stock and cream then carefully pour the warmed stock over all. Cover with foil and bake without disturbing, for 45 minutes.
- Carefully uncover and turn the oven to 400°F Adjust the seasoning if necessary. If it looks too dry, add more water or stock until moist. Sprinkle the pumpkin seeds on top, and return the dish to the oven. Bake until the mixture bubbles and the top is browned and the millet is cooked through, another 10 minutes or so.