Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a seafood casserole recipe that we often make at Christmas or New Year's. We live in on the east coast of Canada so we have good access to seafood. You can change the quantities or types of seafood used. I usually don't use the crab meat, but increase the amount of lobster and shrimp I use. You can use haddock or salmon in it also. I usually use whatever I have on hand. The important thing is to use approximately the same volume of fish as stated in the recipe. I usually serve it over the flaky pastry shells, but you can also serve it in crepes or just by itself on the plate.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 3⁄4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 lb shrimp
- 1⁄2 lb scallops
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked lobster meat
- 1 1⁄2 cups cooked crabmeat
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup light cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup fresh breadcrumb (or cracker crumbs)
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- In a saucepan, bring the water to a boil, cook celery, and onions until tender (about 6 minutes).
- Using slotted spoon transfer vegetables to a large bowl.
- In same saucepan and water, poach scallops over low heat until firm and opaque (aobut 3 minutes).
- Add shrimp and cook about 4 minutes.
- Drain seafood, reserving 3/4 cup of cooking liquid. This liquid amount is based on the original serving size. Increase liquid accordingly.
- Place all seafood into large bowl.
- In large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- Add flour and cook, stir for 2 minutes.
- Gradually whisk in 3/4 cup of cooking liquid and cream, cook until thick. This liquid amount is based on the original serving size. Increase liquid accordingly.
- Stir in cheese until melted.
- Add seafood, season with salt and pepper.
- Transfer into 3.5 L casserole dish.
- Make topping by melting 2 tablespoons butter and stirring in the 1cup shredded cheddar cheese and 1/2 cups of bread crumbs. Keep in mind this topping is for original recipe.
- Spread topping over casserole.
- You can refrigerate the casserole at this point for up to 8 hours, or
- Bake uncovered in 325oF oven 35-45 minutes or until bubbly around edges. Let stand 5 minutes.