Prep 12 hrs
Cook 3 hrs
This is a combination of a couple of baked bean recipes including touches from my mother and grandmother. We live in New Brunswick, Canada, and beans are always a favourite for Saturday supper along with Brown Bread. In this recipe you can use salt pork, bacon, or if I don't have either, I use a tablespoon of shortening.
- 1 lb dried beans, approximately 2 1/3 cups
- 1⁄4 lb salt pork or 1⁄4 lb bacon or 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1 large onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄2 cup molasses
- 1⁄3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- Cover beans with water, let soak overnight.
- Place beans in pot on stove, cover with water and simmer until skins split (approximately 30 minutes).
- Save water.
- Put beans, water and all the other ingredients listed into oven safe casserole or bean crock and bake at 325oF until beans are tender and have turned a deep brown (at least 3 hours).
- Stir occasionally.
- I use yellow eye beans, Jacob's cattle beans or navy beans in this recipe.