Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
The best potato salad ever eaten. My mother made it for years and I now I have taken the mission of keeping this vital recipe alive. I am not allowed to go to any function without ten pounds of this stuff with me. Be advised: you must understand your fate and immediately find a bowl that you can lug around with you. Enjoy your potato popularity! Hint: You MUST use Hellmann's mayonnaise.
- 10 lbs red potatoes (waxy potatoes, not baking potatoes)
- 1 dozen egg, hard boiled
- 1 quart hellmann mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil (not olive oil)
- salt, to taste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons dried dill weed
- 3 tablespoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- paprika, for garnish
- Boil potatoes in a large pot of water until fork tender.
- Potatoes should not be splitting their skins.
- Boil eggs in a separate pot of boiling water for 10 minutes, until completely hard boiled.
- Allow potatoes and eggs to cool completely in the refrigerator, uncovered, about 2 hours.
- When cool, peel potatoes and eggs.
- Discard potatoes skins and eggshells.
- Cut potatoes into bite size pieces and put in a very large bowl.
- Coat with vegetable oil.
- Add vinegar to oiled potatoes.
- Add black pepper, onion powder, dill, parsley, salt; mix well.
- Taste. Add more salt or other seasonings if potatoes still taste bland.
- Add dried mustard and mix well.
- HINT: Do not add more mustard.
- Add Hellmann's mayonnaise one cup at a time.
- You may not need to use the whole jar.
- Potatoes should be well coated, but not covered in mayonnaise.
- Chop eggs into quarters.
- Reserve 1 whole egg for garnish.
- Add to potato mixture and stir gently.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula to get all the mayonnaise off the sides and into the potatoes.
- Transfer to serving bowl, if you are not going to serve it in the mixing bowl.
- Sprinkle top with a light dusting of paprika and a bit of dried parsley.
- In center of bowl, place slices of the hard boiled egg reserved for garnish.
- Allow to chill at least 4 hours in the refrigerator.
- Repeat frequently for a happy summer.
Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe. I can't believe no one here has tried it before now, but I'm sure glad I did. I scaled down the recipe, but know I'll make it again soon. The only change I made was to omit the eggs. Full of flavor and darn near the perfect potato salad.